As we celebrate Thanksgiving, think about the word itself. Oxford Dictionaries defines “thanksgiving” as “an expression of gratitude, especially to God.”
The brilliance of thanksgiving is the therapeutic benefits of expressing our gratitude!
Psychology Today posted an article on seven scientifically proven benefits of gratitude. These include:
- Gratitude opens the door to more relationships
- Gratitude improves physical health
- Gratitude improves psychological health
- Gratitude enhances empathy and reduces aggression
- Grateful people sleep better
- Gratitude improves self esteem
- Gratitude increases mental strength.
Each benefit listed was supported by scientific research.
Psalm 69:30 says, “I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.”
Pause today to consider the many things for which you are grateful, and then, thank God for His amazing gifts.